Thursday, February 18, 2010

Arnold Update

Well Well Well,
Been a bit, so I thought I'd add a few lines. Things are going well in Middle TN... Been to a few fires off base - rural firefighting calls for lots of water... and with no hydrants, we get called for the tanker, and an engine for manpower.
The best call thus far has to be from last week. Headed to the gym at about 2... Dispatch tones out an emergency - medical of course. Man passed out, fell out of his chair and is unconscious. I flip on the lights, and do a u-turn. Around the corner, and there is dude directing me to the location. Ambulance is about 3 seconds behind me and we get on scene and someone says " I think they are doing CPR in there". YA THINK??? I run inside and yup.. CPR in progress! I put that on the air and go check for a pulse... co-workers and doing compressions and breathing thru a pocket mask, good compressions and breathing -I got em to stop, checked pulse again and it's not there! Tell em to continue and in come my medics... Cut the shirt off... AED on and yup - shock advised! ZAP! - resume CPR... get the back board and stuff ready, round of CPR and time to check again... Shock advised... ZAP! still a flat line... onto the back board, stretcher... and one more check... ZAP again! Quick like to the ambulance... Medics are on the way off base... got a heart beat!!
They left him there in stable condition... waiting for a chopper ride to Nashville! He was discharged from hospital 5 days later!
I cut out a bunch of the BS... the small issues we had that I brought up in a debrief - and now I am being investigated (I swear) for threatening the medic! (Told him I knew how to handle the situation- can't wait 'til HR get a hold of this one). When ya wanna good laugh, email me and I will tell ya how that all went down!

Best part - The good Lord saw fit to allow us to be part of something really awesome and it's all good!!

No comments: